Emanuel Navarrete-O’Shaquie Foster unification set for October 24 in San Antonio
Emanuel Navarrete and O’Shaquie Foster have agreed to meet in a junior-lightweight unification fight on October 24 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, according to a report by Chris Mannix during DAZN’s Shields-Scott broadcast.
The matchup brings together Navarrete, the IBF and WBO champion, and Foster, the WBC champion, in one of the strongest fights available at 130lbs. Navarrete, 40-2-1 (33 KOs), is ranked No. 1 by The Ring at super featherweight, one place above Foster, 25-3 (12 KOs), giving the winner a strong claim to being the division’s leading fighter.
WBO order clouds title picture
The full title stakes are not yet settled. Navarrete has been ordered by the WBO to face Charly Suarez in a rematch, meaning the Mexican may have to vacate that belt if he proceeds with Foster rather than fulfilling his mandatory obligation. The Ring title could also be involved because of the fighters’ respective rankings.
The WBO issue stems from Navarrete’s controversial fight with Suarez in May 2025. Navarrete was initially awarded a technical unanimous decision after the bout was stopped at the start of the eighth round because of a cut, but the result was later changed to a no-contest. Replay footage showed the cut had been caused by a punch rather than a headbutt; under that ruling, Suarez would have been awarded the title by stoppage.
Suarez’s own next move may influence how the sanctioning dispute unfolds. He has been rumoured to be negotiating a November fight with Vasiliy Lomachenko, although that bout has not been confirmed.
Navarrete returned from the Suarez controversy by adding the IBF belt to his WBO title with an 11th-round stoppage of Eduardo Nunez on February 28. The 31-year-old from San Juan Zitlaltepec, Mexico, is a three-division titleholder and has held the WBO junior-lightweight title since stopping Liam Wilson in the ninth round in February 2023.
Foster, 32, enters the fight off a successful WBC title defence against Raymond Ford, whom he beat by 12-round majority decision on May 30 in Houston. The Texan first won the WBC title against Rey Vargas in February 2023 and reclaimed it from Robson Conceicao by decision in their November 2024 rematch.
Foster had eyed lightweight
Before the Navarrete agreement, Foster had made clear he was prepared to leave 130lbs if the unification could not be made. Speaking on the “Mr. Verzace Podcast”, he said: “That’s most likely the move if we can’t get Navarrete. I’m looking real close at Lamont [Roach] and [William] Zepeda. I’m paying real close attention. I think the 135 division is hot. We gonna get it boiling when we get up there, then we’re gonna cool everything down. We gonna take over.”
Zepeda defeated Roach for the vacant WBC lightweight title, a belt Foster had been monitoring after previously holding the WBC interim lightweight title. Foster gave up that interim status to continue campaigning at junior lightweight, with Navarrete remaining his preferred target.
Foster has also suggested his long-term ambitions extend well beyond 130lbs. Asked on the same podcast where he expects to finish his career, he said: “The way 147 looks, I’ll say 147. When I see the competition there, I definitely can go up there.”
For now, Foster’s next step is back at junior lightweight, where negotiations have produced the fight he publicly wanted. The immediate question is whether Navarrete carries the WBO title into San Antonio or whether the sanctioning body’s order involving Suarez forces the unification to proceed with fewer belts attached.
Give us your thoughts on Emanuel Navarrete-O’Shaquie Foster unification set for October 24 in San Antonio
Please login to comment
log in