David Benavidez likely to face Michal Cieslak on December 12
David Benavidez is likely to remain at cruiserweight for his next fight, with Michal Cieslak emerging as the expected opponent for December 12. The bout could involve the WBC title, depending on how the sanctioning body rules on Noel Mikaelian’s decision to proceed with Jai Opetaia instead of Benavidez.
Mike Coppinger reported on Inside The Ring on Monday that Benavidez, the WBA and WBO cruiserweight champion, is likely to face Cieslak, the WBC interim titleholder. Other outlets have also reported Benavidez-Cieslak as a potential next fight for that date.
Benavidez had been lined up for a WBC title fight with Mikaelian after the sanctioning body named him as Mikaelian’s mandatory challenger on May 29. That was an unusual order because Benavidez already holds titles with other organisations at cruiserweight, but the WBC acted after his representatives petitioned for him to be installed as mandatory in the division above his WBC light-heavyweight title.
The situation changed when Mikaelian moved towards a September 12 fight with Opetaia at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, on the undercard of Ryan Garcia’s WBC welterweight title defence against Conor Benn. The WBC has since written to Mikaelian’s promoter Don King seeking clarity on whether Mikaelian will face Opetaia or accept the ordered defence against Benavidez, with WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman indicating to BoxingScene that Mikaelian could be stripped, although no firm response deadline was attached.
Mikaelian says Benavidez delay forced decision
Mikaelian has said he initially accepted the Benavidez fight, but that no final paperwork followed. “With the Benavidez fight, I agreed to it immediately, and [more than] 60 days [passed],” Mikaelian told The Ring’s Mike Coppinger. “I never received an agreement. … [My manager Anthony Girges] decided we have to see what’s going on there to make a fight happen. I have to make a living. I have to fight. I have to make a career. I can’t wait forever. I’m already getting gray hair. It’s either now or never.”
Mikaelian, who has also said he believes he is entitled to a voluntary defence, has not completely closed the door on Benavidez. “We can still make the Benavidez fight happen after this,” Mikaelian said. “The winner can fight Benavidez afterwards in December or in January. The fight is not off the table, but I can’t wait for Benavidez the entire year to fight him.”
The issue for the WBC is whether Mikaelian can defend against Opetaia while Benavidez is already in position as the mandatory challenger. If the WBC strips Mikaelian, Cieslak could be elevated from interim champion to full champion before facing Benavidez, or the title could be declared vacant for the December 12 bout. Another possible route is for the WBC to require the winner of Opetaia-Mikaelian to face the winner of Benavidez-Cieslak in a later unification.
Benavidez’s decision to stay at cruiserweight is also tied to the light-heavyweight picture. He remains the WBC champion at 175lbs, but the fight he wants against Ring, IBF, WBA and WBO champion Dmitry Bivol is not available next, leaving the cruiserweight division as the more active route.
Cieslak, 28-2 with 22 knockouts, is coming off the most significant win of his career, a fourth-round stoppage of Jean Pascal in June to win the interim WBC cruiserweight title. The Polish contender has twice challenged for world titles, losing on points to Ilunga Makabu for the vacant WBC belt in 2020 and to Lawrence Okolie for the WBO title in London in 2022, but he has never been stopped.
Benavidez, 32-0 with 26 knockouts, became a three-division titleholder when he moved up to cruiserweight and stopped Gilberto Ramirez in the sixth round on May 2 at T-Mobile Arena to win the WBA and WBO belts. That victory followed his rise from super-middleweight to light-heavyweight, where he beat Oleksandr Gvozdyk, David Morrell and Anthony Yarde while building his position across multiple divisions.
Opetaia-Mikaelian will proceed, for now, as part of Zuffa Boxing’s Las Vegas card. Opetaia, who holds The Ring cruiserweight title, was stripped of the IBF title after his March win over Brandon Glanton, and his team has sued the IBF seeking reinstatement.
The next move belongs to the WBC, which must decide Mikaelian’s status before Benavidez-Cieslak can be fully defined. If the December 12 fight is finalised, negotiations and the sanctioning decision will determine whether Benavidez is entering a straight title defence, a vacant-title fight, or a cruiserweight unification shaped by Mikaelian’s September meeting with Opetaia.
Give us your thoughts on David Benavidez likely to face Michal Cieslak on December 12
Please login to comment
log in