Zolani Tete, former two-weight world champion, shot dead in South Africa
Former two-weight world champion Zolani Tete has been fatally shot outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, in what South African authorities described as an ambush on Friday evening.
Police said the 38-year-old former IBF junior-bantamweight and WBO bantamweight champion was arriving at his residence at around 6.30pm local time when two unknown armed suspects wearing balaclavas approached while he was waiting for the gate to open. A 27-year-old female passenger was also shot and remains in hospital.
South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Gayton McKenzie, said: “Two armed men in balaclavas got out of a car in Mdantsane and killed one of our greatest world champions at his own front gate, and they are still out there tonight.” McKenzie added: “I appeal to anyone who saw, knows or heard anything to come forward. Somebody in that community knows who did this.”
Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said Tete was attacked after the suspects emerged from a vehicle and opened fire. “In an attempt to escape the hail of bullets, the deceased drove his vehicle into the yard,” Gantana said. “He unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased on the scene.”
Gantana said the female passenger was taken for treatment after suffering multiple gunshot wounds. “The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. She remains hospitalized.”
Comeback had been in motion
Tete’s death came just weeks after his four-year anti-doping suspension expired on July 29. He had been preparing to resume his career, with manager Mlandeli Tengimfene confirming he was training for a comeback fight on November 29.
His last appearance in the ring was in July 2022 in London, where he stopped Jason Cunningham in four rounds. The result was later changed to a no-contest after Tete tested positive for stanozolol, and he received a four-year ban from UK Anti-Doping. He was also stripped of the Commonwealth, IBF International and WBO International junior-featherweight titles.
Tete always maintained his innocence. Earlier this year he told The Ring: “It’s been a tough and long journey and I am happy its finally coming to an end.” He added: “Personally, I don’t accept the ban because I’m a clean and fair athlete.”
Despite the ban, Tete remained active in gyms and had been working with other fighters, including Azinga Fuzile, Ngxaka Mthokozisi and Lwando Mgabi. Tengimfene said: “Zolani has always been a workaholic in all aspects of the fistic sport,” adding: “When the dark cloud of the PED fell on him, I had to think deeper on how best I can utilize him differently. A four-year ban is not child’s play, anything could happen and maybe lose Zolani for good.”
Tete had also made clear that he intended to box again once eligible. “Oh yes definitely, my plan is still unfinished,” he said. “It’s been a while since I stepped inside the ring, I am looking forward to my comeback fight and getting back to winning ways.”
Tete’s world-title career was built largely away from home. After turning professional as a teenager in 2006, he won an IBF eliminator against Richard Garcia in 2010 but was stopped by Moruti Mthalane later that year in his first world-title challenge at flyweight.
He later rebuilt on the road after narrow eliminator defeats to Juan Alberto Rosas in Mexico and Roberto Sosa in Argentina. Tete returned to Mexico to stop Juan Carlos Sanchez, then travelled to Japan in 2014 to beat Teiru Kinoshita on points for the vacant IBF junior-bantamweight title. He defended that belt by stopping Paul Butler in England before relinquishing it after his agreement with promoter Branco Milenkovic ended in 2015.
A move to bantamweight and a long-term deal with Queensberry Promotions followed. Frank Warren’s involvement helped steer Tete into the WBO title picture, where he beat Arthur Villanueva for the interim belt in 2017 before being elevated to full champion.
Tete defended the WBO bantamweight title three times, including an 11-second knockout of Siboniso Gonya in 2017, recognised by Guinness World Records as the fastest knockout in a world-title fight. He also outpointed former two-weight champion Omar Narvaez and Mikhail Aloyan before losing the belt to John Riel Casimero in 2019 after weight issues preceded a third-round stoppage defeat.
Boxing South Africa paid tribute after news of the shooting emerged, saying: “Boxing South Africa (BSA) has learnt with profound shock and sadness of the untimely passing of former IBF Junior Bantamweight and WBO Bantamweight World Champion, Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete.” The organisation added: “Zolani Tete was more than a champion. He was an icon of South African boxing. A product of the famed All Winners Mdantsane boxing stable.”
Tete’s former promoter, Queensberry Promotions, paid tribute to him on social media following news of his death. “Everyone at Queensberry is devastated to hear of the passing of Zolani Tete. Zolani was a superb world champion and a great character. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and the South African boxing community at this terrible time. Rest in peace, champ.”
BSA said further details on official tributes and memorial arrangements would be shared after engagement with Tete’s family. Police are continuing to search for the two armed suspects, while McKenzie’s appeal for witnesses keeps the focus on Mdantsane as investigators try to establish who carried out the killing.
Give us your thoughts on Zolani Tete, former two-weight world champion, shot dead in South Africa
Please login to comment
log in